Tuesday, December 05, 2006

A Major Award! (no, not a bowling alley)


Today I got the good news that I am the recipient of a SmartBoard interactive whiteboard for my classroom. I wrote a grant several months ago to a foundation at the University of Washington, and have been anxiously waiting for a several weeks to hear. This addition just about rounds out the technology in my classroom - I have GPS receivers, digital temperature probes, a remote student response system, a wireless slate, document camera, and digital projector. I have been so fortunate to receive it all through awards, grants, and curriculum. The SmartBoard has the potential to completely change the way lessons are presented, and the level of student involvement I can achieve. Gone will be the regular roll down screen. Students will be able to write directly on the board using "digital ink" with just their finger. They will be able to construct graphic organizers by moving objects around and typing text into them - with just their fingers! Classroom technology has come a long way since overhead projectors and film strips. Hopefully, it will be up and running by the new year!

No comments: