Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Total Lunar Eclipse

I got up at 2:45 - my hands were asleep, and I couldn't manage to get them to turn the alarm off, so Steph got woken up too. Put on some warm clothes and went outside... WOW! The moon was almost totally eclipsed by the Earth. I watched through binoculars as the remaining sliver slid away. 30 minutes more and it was completely in shadow. The north area seemed much darker than the south. As the moon slid away, I tried to take some pictures through the binos - see the results below. When it reached totality, it was way too dim to take any more photos. It seemed that someone had taken the brown from a set of school watercolors and painted the moon. At one point as I was looking, a meteor streaked through right across the moon. Cool! Spectacular, a little disconcerting, and certainly something to remember this morning!

No comments: