Monday, September 10, 2007

Dirt Work

My parents' backyard is undergoing a remodel - it has been going on for awhile, but a major step was completed this weekend. My dad used a rototiller to churn up the soil on Saturday. It is clay and very rocky. I went over on Sunday and helped level and smooth the dirt in prep for a new lawn that will be sown soon. As a kid, I dug many holes in the backyard just for the pure joy of digging. The soil was always very hard. I was surprised at how easy the job of leveling was - I guess the rototiller really helped. As we were clearing an area up by the shed, we found a cement slab. When I was 12, my dad built us a treehouse - this slab was at the foot of the stairs. Dad cleaned it up, and handprints, along with the date, 6/89, were very clear. Dad is going to leave it in the ground and include it as part of a new walkway. Pretty cool!

No comments: