Sunday, September 09, 2007

Looking Up

In 1986 I did a school project on Halley's Comet. I had a start chart that my dad and I used when we were camping to identify the constellations. The tragedy of Space Shuttle Challenger is one of my clearest memories from elementary school because we were watching the launch live. The stars and space have always held a fascination for me. Hubble telescope images are incredible, but nothing is like seeing faint objects with your own eye. This summer my wife and I went to a "Star Party" while visiting some friends in Oregon. It was the first time I've been able to put my eye to a telescope and really see things in space. That was all I needed. I now own an Orion 130 mm Newtonian reflector. It arrived and I spent a fair amount of time assembling it. The same night I took it outside and was able to see Jupiter and its four largest moons. After a lot of fiddling around, I was finally able to find the Andromeda galaxy too! I still have a lot to learn and many late nights ahead, but it is very exciting! I'm looking forward to this winter when Mars will approach very close, maybe I'll be able to see the ice caps! Orion will also begin to climb higher up into the sky, and I'll be able to see the gigantic nebulas.

No comments: