Monday, December 03, 2007

Sump This!

Wet snow and heavy rains have resulted in a major drainage problem at our house. We awoke to several bad signs:

1. A bad smell coming from the bathroom (PS: It wasn't me!)
2. A "waterfall" sound under our bedroom.
3. Inches of water covering the septic tank.
4. Water pouring under our fence from the property behind us.
5. When I checked, a flooded crawl space.

I went to work, wrote quick sub plans, and came home. I dug trenches, but to no avail. I had bought a sump pump on the way home at ACE - talk about a frenzied place! They were out of hose though. One of our neighbors, Leonard, came over and gave me some old hose. With that and other odds and ends, I pieced a drain system together. The pump is working away, but really not keeping up very well. It will work until the power goes out.

Our septic is completely inundated, I guess we just have to wait for it to drain.

Today I also made an important discovery - the limitations of Gore-Tex. I was soaked.

No comments: