Friday, January 12, 2007

Learning NXT

Since I received the Lego NXT set from a small grant, I've been trying to become more proficient with the engineering and programming required. It has been challenging, and as a result, i haven't utilized it in my classroom the way I've envisioned yet. Just building something strong enough is difficult enough. Over the past week, I've been able to build somewhat original robots. The first has tread like a tank and uses the ultrasonic and light sensors. The programming for this was fairly simple, and it was able to turn in a 360° due to the treads being used. The second robot was inspired by one I saw on an NXT blog I read. It is an "inchworm" type design. I beefed it up a bit by using two motors. It took some tweaking of the design and program, but I was able to make it start with a clap, and stop with a clap. It is pretty cool watching it inch its way across the floor.

No comments: